View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I love this one! I remember walking the Brooklyn Bridge on my first visit to NYC- I had my hands all over it. Stroking the main cable, resting my hand on it, trying to imagine its incredible strength..grasping the suspender ropes in my hands, feeling them shiver and twitch. And those lovely stone towers, those also got my hands all over them as well. Something about that bridge encourages touching, it's downright loveable!
It felt almost like standing in the middle of the most epic game of cat's cradle ever played, with all the suspenders and stay cables surrounding me. Beautiful!
thanks! I couldn't describe the experience better myself, at least not in such colorful terms. During the blackout a few years ago thousands of people were walking (virtually marching, like they do in New York) over the bridge at once on their way home when the span started to sway back and forth. I think for me this would have been a sensory experience a little too extreme, especially on a bridge over 120 years old!