View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 4:10 AM
Meh

Austin is "finally" starting to form a 2nd skyline, though, a wee one just yet. The Domain area in North Austin is 8 miles north of downtown. There are around 15 midrises in that area, and the two tallest is Domain II Tower, a 24-story 306 foot office tower, and The Bowen, a 19-story 213 foot residential building. Both are the tallest office and residential buildings outside of the downtown and UT area.

I took the photo below on Tuesday from St. Edward's University in South Austin. The distance is 11 1/2 miles.

This photo shows Domain II Tower on the horizon, but it also shows Waterloo, a 320 foot tall 30-story residential tower located in West Campus, which is itself the new tallest in that neighborhood. West Campus is located immediately north of downtown and west of the UT Campus as you might have guessed from the name. This photo also shows the construction of 6 X Guadalupe (blue cranes) that will become Austin's new tallest.

The Domain is approved for heights up to 360 feet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some taller than that eventually, and we'll have an actual skyline there. There are at least 4 other buildings proposed that will be over 300 feet.

This view won't last though because there is a 700 footer planned for downtown that will block this view.

https://i.imgur.com/qLMi0YK.jpg