View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
Yeah I love those pics, especially the last 3. Thanks for posting, Alex!

Curious what your thoughts are on the KiMo window shutters, in person. I realize why they had to put them up, but are they relatively cohesive/inconspicuous when they're retracted?
I don't like the shutters at all. They are down most of the time, even during the day. The city said they would only be down whenever nobody was actually in the building. But I think they should open them in the day no matter what, then close them at night.

They aren't offensively obtrusive closed or open, but they aren't as unobtrusive as I think they could've been or as the city said they'd be. The rolling mechanism and boxes are clearly visible and they were placed outside of the window frames. They also put different shutters over each segment of window or door openings, so it looks worse than it could've been that way as well. It reminds me of a big window covered in multiple short blinds instead of one custom-length blind that fits right.

They are a little see-through at night, especially if lights are on behind them, which looks much better than during the day. The KiMo gallery next door actually looks nice with the shutters down at night and it's lit up behind them. The KiMo itself looks okay at night but they usually don't light up the storefronts to help the shutters become see-through at night.

Edit: here's a story from KRQE last month talking about the shutters when they were beginning to be installed. You can sort of see how they are see-through on the KiMo gallery next door, whose shutter is a cream color, not bronze like ones on the theater itself.

Video Link

Last edited by ABQalex; Oct 29, 2020 at 9:11 PM.