View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:29 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is a great snapshot. The more time I spend touring these Metra burbs the more impressed I am with what this region has.

I'm especially kind of interested in these old Fox River towns like Elgin, Aurora, St Charles, etc. I have yet to see them in person but they seem to have a lot of "urban bones" worth exploring.

My only beef with Aurora and Naperville's commercial cores is that they are a bit of a hike from their respective Metra Stations. If only their stations could've been just adjacent to their downtowns, as is the case with most of the other commuter burbs, the synergy would be that much better.
I agree totally about Naperville. It's actually got a VERY nice downtown core, full of residential, retail and office, generally very pedestrian friendly, nice inclusion of some historic buildings into what essentially has become a big new urbanist development integrated into the existing city street grid.

Schaumburg is a lost cause for sprawlsville. Haven't had a chance to check out Aurora yet, but Elgin definitely has great historic bones in its downtown core.

Still think Elmhurst is the best outside of Oak Park and Evanston, though. Haha

Aaron (Glowrock)