View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What I like is how some long-standing issues are finally being fixed. The empty Queen Street corner and Clyde Street dead zone have been around for decades, holding the street back. They were a major problem and the fact that they're finally being dealt with gives me a lot of hope for further improvements.

There's a very important relationship between density and amenities when it comes to determining the "critical mass" of a neighbourhood. When you hit the point where you can have stuff like Pete's, which requires a certain level of residential market, the neighbourhood becomes way more appealing. Government-owned empty lots stack the deck against urban neighbourhoods because they cut down on density without adding anything beyond what would be available in an actual development.

I think similar residential infill would do wonders for the downtown area and Barrington, and would even increase demand for residential. Right now the old downtown is on the wrong side of the feedback loop, where it just doesn't have enough stuff to make it a good place to locate, so nobody moves in. It does seem to be improving a bit but if a dozen or so condo towers moved in the difference would be like night and day.
I agree - it's good to know that even with the removal of the parking lots, the parking issue (which businesses believe is an issue, but isn't really) will still be okay after development comes along.

The downtown is slowly moving up in critical mass I think - it will be telling in 10 years time when the Roy and Discovery Buildings get built how much busier downtown will be. Also once you add in the Brewery Tower, the waterfront developments - when they all get built there will be way more people downtown.

The one thing I've always had a concern with is the issue of governments holding onto key downtown parcels and never doing anything with them. This process for the 'sister lots' (although a bit corny in terms of their advertising) shows that there is interest and the Governments who own the land will make good $ selling the land off. Without having seen the RFP, the only concern I'd have is the start date of the projects. I just hope it's not one of these cases where an approval is issued and then nothing happens (like Twisted).