View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 9:36 PM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I can't agree Horthos, I think the proposed building is appalling.

I don't know why developer Joseph Heller's so keen to fill the "void" (as he calls it in the LA DownTown News article you linked). I like the void. There's already parking under it anyway. Plus closing off the rear access to the Academy, Cameo & Roxie theaters (which he also owns, along with the Arcade Building) is a crime against their future use. And the Alexandria will lose five floors of their south-facade windows if the Hellen monster is built.

The guy's not even an Angeleno. He lives in Australia for pete's sake.

The developers wrecked Bunker Hill and now they think it's the Historic Core's turn.

P.S. I applied to the Alexandria once. They wouldn't take me. Dunno if I'm too noir or not noir enough. I still love the building though.

Well yes, it sucks, but I meant that compared to most new buildings being built nowadays, its better than most of them, in that its not a pile of random shaped colorful things stacked on top of eachother (again, see new genesis apartments on 5th and main, or the new thing they are building on the corner of 2nd and los angeles street).

Personally I would rather there be a 2-3 story building go in, that way the alexandria doesnt get screwed over, and an alleyway can always be included as well. The parking lot sucks big time, there is a feeling of dead space when you walk by.

I am worried though about the proposed 35 or 40 story building they want to put at 6th and main in front of the pacific electric building, I do not know much about it, I have not seen any renderings yet, but I am 109.2% sure it will be awful.

The alexandria is limited to people with a certain income, I think the max is something like 30 some grand a year, so if you make more than that, you cant live there.

I wish I could reply sooner, my computer always seems to be in the shop getting fixed...