Thread: Via rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
I know, its a dream, but it doesn't hurt to dream and I believe the dream has merit. Comments are appreciated.
The dream does have merit, and I too would wish for something somewhat like what you described. However, I think starting with the sorts of things you mentioned would be the less successful way to go, as I suspect the ridership will not be large enough to justify the expense without the rest of a network. I fully support the idea that another poster also mentioned of VIA running buses instead of trains to serve the lower demand routes and fill the gap of Greyhound, as I bet (for example) 3 buses a day from Calgary to Regina would have a much better business case than 1 train a day.

Apologies for quoting myself but there's no point re-writing it, I think starting with this would be the better investment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
In Alberta, we need to identify a manageable size line is that has the most bang for buck and greatest chance of success and build that first. IMO, it's likely a Calgary - Lake Louise line and/or a Calgary - Airdrie line, possibly with a link to the airport. Once something like that is built, as long as it's not a complete financial disaster, then building extensions and additional branches becomes a much more attractive proposition, as you are able to leverage network effects. An Edmonton - Red Deer - Calgary line has a much better business case if there's also a line to the mountains at the other end.
In an alternate universe, where Canada actually did stuff like this, you could have an integrated ticketing system, and someone in Regina could buy a ticket from Regina to Banff, with a VIA bus to Calgary Central Rail Station, and then a train from there to Banff on whoever operates that line. But now it's me that's dreaming.