View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Chicago and NYC aren't particularly similar, especially at street level.

And vibrancy is subjective, obviously, but I think most neutral observers would be hard pressed to say that Sao Paulo, or Buenos Aires, or Madrid, or Paris, don't have significantly more street-level vibrancy than Chicago. And you can likely add in Barcelona, London, Istanbul, Mexico City, Rio and a few others.
That may be true but what these two cities Chicago and New York do have that is similar is what i call Original Skyscraper Folklore. Old skyscrapers that attract visitors from around the world who take architectural sightseeing tours to marvel over them. Buildings like Wrigley, Palmolive, Marina City,Merchandise Mart,Tribune Tower,etc in Chicago. In N.Y.C ESB ,Chrysler Bldg,Rockefeller Center and so many more.And believe me with the large number of visitors attracted to these architectural skyscraper gems it adds greatly to the street -level vibrancy of these two cities that i have not seen duplicated.world-wide.And to the original question ..Southern cities with a " big city" feel, both Miami and Houston stand out as having a multi-cultural appeal like you find in both N.Y and Chicago.