View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:27 PM
Registered Drug User

Stratford isn't big enough to keep the agricultural smells at bay, so on the spring and fall days when they spray the corn fields the whole town smells of pig shit. Otherwise, it's really quiet and sedate around here. No teeming tenements with hip hop blasting out of the windows.

The North End of Hamilton used to and probably still is blanketed by a powerful industrial stench that you don't really notice when you live there. Though I'll never forget the particularly sourish, slightly vomitous tinge to it in the area of Burlington and Wellington that never failed to catch me off guard. Wouldn't want to live near that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
A recent note: I was out of the city at a provincial park recently and you forget how noisy places are until you are somewhere really quiet. At night, one could hear vehicles on the road miles away.
This is the reason I like to make the eyebrow-raising comment to snooty rural types that I wouldn't want to live in the countryside because it's too noisy. One time several years ago my wife and I went to look at a place in the countryside that was for sale, and we were shocked by the din of the passing traffic.