View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Geography of the Nose and Ears

Recently I was cycling through a poorer part of my city, and while it was far from the first time I went through there, for some reason I really noticed the smells and sounds. When I headed back home I paid particular attention to the smells and sounds in my neighbourhood.

Now, to give proper context the poorer area probably had industry at one point in its history but has not had anything of that sort in generations. So no industrial smells.

So the dominant smells in this poorer district seemed to cigarette smoke, and what I assume to be some type of cheap laundry detergent.

Back in my upper class suburban neighbourhood, the dominant smells were freshly cut grass, flowers and other forms of vegetation.

In the poorer district, due to people having their windows open (often due to not having AC) and also little setback for houses, you actually hear people talking when biking by. The dominant languages I heard were Québécois colloquial French and some immigrant languages too.

In my neighbourhood the dominant sound is... nothing. OK maybe a swoosh sound from distant traffic, but other than that it's very quiet. You might hear the sounds of kids playing somewhere nearby (if school isn't in) and the hum of backyard pool or spa pumps...