View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I agree that Dougie could pass as a non-descript American.

Growing up, he is what we would call a caker aka mangia cake (working class Canadian). If cakers have an accent then I would label him as that.

To my ears, he doesn't have a stereotypical Canadian accent or even a working class Ontario accent like that home improvement guy I posted in a video of above.

Cam Wooley, former OPP spokesperson turned media personality, looks pretty working class. He's from Toronto. This is how most "Canadian" guys of his generation from TO sound to me. Basically, very plain and not much of an accent.

And for the younger generation of "Canadian" guy from TO, Tom Wilson could serve as an example. Mind you, he has some of that hockey bro going on like "ya know" or "and uh...". Doesn't say after every sentence like a lot of hockey players, but it's there.

Marner is pretty Canadian and from Markham. Tavares is I think half Portuguese and from Sauga/Oakville. Marner has virtually no accent to me. Tavares has more of a hockey accent than anything. They are definitely not Toronto Mans but I'm sure they dropped the Canadian universal Hockey Bro lingo all the time growing up.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link
Canadians say "hawk-ee".

Americans say "hack-ee".