View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 3:31 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
Since you're in touch with this stuff, LMich, I have a genuine question for you: Where is this sudden push for regional mass transit coming from?

I mean I'm as much a proponent of public transit as anyone who hates driving, but I don't ever remember much of a public consensus on mass transit in MI. Where is it coming from? It's wonderful, it's fantastic, this is positive news, I'm just sort of confused

Also, because I'm a finance type and I have to ask these questions... Where is the money supposed to come from to maintain a system?

It would be freaking fabulous not to have to care if the roads are ruined by ****ing construction in November
You know, I've been asking myself the same thing. To be honest, I think its that we've been brought to our lowest and we feel that we've got nothing to lose by going all in. I think people finally realize that we're so far behind everywhere else, but more importantly they realize why we're so far behind. It's almost as if it was a miraculous epiphany. If you'd told me even five years ago we'd have Republicans in our state as far away as places like Traverse City supporting regional mass transit in Detroit, I'd have told you you were crazy.

I also think that you can't leave Granholm out of this push, either. Engler would have never been so on board with this. For all of the crap she's gotten, she's chosen the right people to lead the push for this.

As for the cost, taxes, of course. What kind of taxes, though, they are still working out.