View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 7:48 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I disagree. Immigration is not the solution, at least not in the beginning.

Demographics in Chicago prove that if you don’t have a crime issue and a neighborhood is perceived as safe, people will want to live there if they can afford it.

The problem is crime and gangs. We need to be tough as nails on crime and we need to bust up the gangs. Unfortunately, the one-party system that leads Chicago is too lax on crime. Increasingly, police have to walk on eggshells while doing their jobs and they deal with a court system that lets criminals off with a slap on the wrist.

This notion that “crime is a social problem” that can only be fixed by Sociologists with a PhD isn’t working, and every day kids are dying because of it. Criminals are bad people. Gangbangers are bad people. They have no morals. They are terrorizing the neighborhoods that they conduct their violent behavior in, and when we take it easy on them we roll out the red carpet for them, while innocent people suffer. We need to be much, much harder on them and we need to do so now.

That will save lives and begin Englewood on a path towards revitalization
Isn't the FBI/other Federal agencies at least partially responsible for the massive increase in shootings and murders that occurred in 2015, though? If I recall correctly, the Feds actively tried to break up many of the major gangs in the South/SW sides of the city. The fractioning of several large gangs into dozens of smaller ones increased turf wars significantly, thus much more violence.

I don't disagree that the continued presence of violence in the area is the biggest deterrent to Englewood's (and other such neighborhoods) rebirth. I'm just not entirely sure how to deal with it.

Aaron (Glowrock)