View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Okay, this may be the best I've got...

Looking southeast from the Mira Hershey property at 4th Street and Grand Avenue, ca.1910

I believe we're looking southeast from the now-vacant property from which Almira Hershey's house was moved back in '06. The house in the lower foreground is on the NW corner of 4th and Olive Streets. Hence, I think we're on the elevated Hershey property which is destined to remain vacant basically until Bunker Hill is leveled, serving as little more than a parking lot. We have a nice, out-of-the-ordinary view of the entryway to the Fremont with the curved stairs which will also survive to the bitter end. At the lower left, the building with the essentially blank wall sporting only two vertical windows is the little Hotel Antlers on the NW corner of Clay and 4th Streets. The prominent back of the Wright and Callender Building (11 stories) is here on the left in the middle distance at 4th and Hill Streets and at the upper-center we can see the back of the Hotel Alexandria on the SW corner of 5th and Spring Streets. The Occidental Hotel is clearly visible due to the P.E. subway building being as yet un-built and next to it, on the left, we can see the itty-bitty Hotel Leroy which will give way to the coming of the enormous Hotel Clark. I believe the building with the profusion of signs and handbills (beyond the Fremont) is the side of the Los Angeles Pacific Railway building at 435 S. Hill Street.

ebay
I believe you are correct as to direction of view, but that puts the LAP terminus and the Hill ST stations and the site of the Subway Terminal out of the view, to the right, due south and southwest