View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I think the rest of the league is just softer....With this trend he could loose 20lbs next year and not have to worry about people finishing checks.

but i'm the kind of guy who played bantam in the late 90's and wanted to be like Scott Stevens. Catching dangly little fucks coming across the blue line with their head down...back when you were responsible for making sure you didn't put yourself in a vulnerable position....where forwards/coaches would rip into their d if they gave them a suicide pass on a break out because guys like me were on the ice playing D....not play some victim and blame others.
Hockey just hasn't progressed that way anymore. More emphasis is put on skill and offense than brute strength. Stevens would be....a completely average defenseman these days, whereas a guy like Niedermayer would excel even more. A part of me is glad the dumb, physical stuff is out of the game. There's always going to be some physicality involved but I get the feeling from a lot of people that really advocate for rough play that they would rather watch a fight than a hockey game.

The NHL's standard of play is better now than it's ever been.