View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I couldn't disagree more when it comes to AZ and Phx. Sure on the whole America's higher education system is the best and most widely spread of any country in the world. However when it comes to higher education in AZ you basically have 3 choices, ASU, UA, NAU. GCU is marginal at best and places like Prescott College are hardly on anyone's radar.

I'd recommend reading "Triumph of the City" by Edward Glaesar, he argues convincingly about how important it is for Cities/Metropolitan areas to be leaders in higher education.

I'm not wishing for Arizona or Phoenix to have more diploma mills, just the opposite! I wish ASU West and Poly could spin off into their own schools so ASU could reduce enrollment, increase costs and increase selectivity and quality. We need a multifaceted higher education with different types and sizes of schools for different type of people.

PHX & Arizona suffer terribly from "brain drain." People leave AZ for college and never come back. Graduates often stay near where their college was due to a large alumni network that can help them with employment. For every Sandra Day O'Connor that leaves for Stanford and returns, there are hundreds more that don't come back.

As far as Medical Higher Education goes there's been numerous studies that have shown that Arizona is already running short on Doctors. With the large Snowbird population continuing to age and huge amounts of rural poor (on Indian Reservations and the like) we're going to need more Doctors to keep up the pace.
True, not only that but most ASU, AU, and NAU grads are recruited out of state because of the lack of employment opportunities in Arizona. The only huge deficit in Arizona now is for doctors and why another medical school in Phoenix is a necessity. An ASU/Mayo school would produce high caliber graduates due to Mayo's resources, facilities, research capability, and staff.

ASU West should spin off as Phoenix State University , and Phoenix College should become a highly selective 4-year liberal arts college; it has that nice historic campus atmosphere.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM.