View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 5:12 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
These are some photos of one of my recently completed designs in Montecito, CA. The house is 5 bedrooms + pool cabana on an acre of land. 100% solar electric, 100% solar hot water (including pool heating), 100% rainwater capture. Would have qualified for LEED silver, but the client wasn't interested in the cost of the paperwork.

I was generally pleased with the end product of this design. There are a few things I might have done differently.

This picture is jaw droppingly good :

Plinko this estate is INCREDIBLE. It looks like paradise!

I'm interested in what systems are being used for it to be 100% solar? That really caught my eye as my goal is to eventually build a custom home for myself that is as close to 100% energy independent as possible.
Right now my knowledge is that with the correct solar paneling, on-site energy capacity storage, re-use of water/radiant heating, geo-thermal systems (which are too big for city use to my knowledge), you can come out with $0 net energy bills over the course of a year. (I know of several examples of this being successfully done in my area, and on renovations of huge 100+ yr old houses at that)
But I don't see any solar panels in these pics; Is it utilizing geo-thermal since it is a sizable lot?