View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2020, 4:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The oil industry will never go away completely. The need for energy dense fuels will persist for a long time in aviation and in the ocean shipping industry. In addition, oil is vital in the plastics manufacturing industry.

Having said this however, we should be as efficient and parsimonious in our oil extraction industry as possible. EVs for personal transportation is a no brainer. HSR should be encouraged for short to intermediate range intercity travel. Long distance travel will continue to be primarily via jet aircraft, but these can be made as fuel efficient as possible. Great strides are being made in plastic recycling (and I am not just talking about shopping bags here), but there will always be a need for new materials for the plastics industry as recycling can never supply 100% of the needs.

In the end, I would much prefer to keep as much oil in the ground as possible. I would much rather see a resource that will last us 50,000 years rather a resource that will be exhausted in 100 years...........