View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
DFW has UT-Dallas and UT-Arlington and UNT which are all competitive with UH. DFW has SMU and TCU and TWU and UD while Houston just has Rice and TSU. Rice is probably way better than all these put together in academic terms of course.

Texas A&M and Sam Houston State are two giant public universities serving Houston, but which are located in traditional college towns slightly too far away to be considered within the Houston metro. I compare it to how Detroit has only one relatively lower status public school in the city, but Ann Arbor is lurking just over the horizon. Or how Milwaukee has Madison.
UH aside, there's also UH-Downtown, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria. All apart of the UH system but totally different campuses. There's also HBU. And UTHealth and Baylor College of Medicine...but they are health/medical only

Quote:
Dallas might have moved beyond actively promoting itself with traditional Texan images and symbols, but as you yourself just said, images are hard to shake and two of the most prominent cultural markers of the Metroplex are the show "Dallas" and the Dallas Cowboys, both of which have strong associations with traditional Texas symbols, are associated with Dallas proper in name, and help give Dallas/DFW more visibility than Houston. Honestly I'm having trouble seeing where the inaccuracy is on my part. We're speaking broadly here about prominence and the things that play into it; getting into the weeds about the actual on-the-ground differences between Dallas and Fort Worth kinda is another discussion altogether.
Dallas's popular perception is based on some pretty dated pop culture references. It's like me associating Seattle with grunge and flannel.