View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
My street is like this, but I actually like the winter view more than summer. Walking or driving under blocks of hoar-frost laden trees always feels a little magical to me... especially at Christmastime.
This!!!!! Yes!!!! I am a winter man, hence the city of my choosing. But hoar frost covered canopies with freshly fallen snow, not yet covered in sand and salt brings with it an amazing feeling.

I grew up into the Harry Potter series, and I have this really happy memory that occurred when I was eleven. I had just finished reading the first book (this was a year or two before the movie had come out yet) and on my way to school I saw a Snowy Owl perched on an Elm, in broad daylight. An amazing thing in and of itself. The cloud was grey, and snow was twinkling down, the light fluffy fat kind. The roads and sidewalks were still sprinkled white, from the fall the night before. And I remember thinking that I could very well be going to Hogwarts... How children dream. I daydreamed about it for the entire trek to school.

That was just a happy memory that I always return to with winters here. Something about fresh snow, hoar covered trees (or even snow covered), and grey skies (which are admittedly rare during Winnipeg's winters) feel so magical to me. Sorry about the diatribe. So many people say that Winters are ugly and bland, I feel the complete opposite.