View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:11 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Here is an example of what you will find in cities like Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, and Edmonton:

This is my picture of Winnipeg.

The thing that sets Winnipeg a part is the sure number of mature Elm trees that it has. Literally every neighbourhood, except for one, that is not a recent subdivision looks like this. Regina, Saskatoon and Edmonton have this as well, but the difference is that in Winnipeg it is harder to find a neighbourhood without canopies like this than it is to find one with it.

Don't get me wrong though, I have seen what Dutch Elm can do, and my greatest fear is that the lack of effort that the city puts into keeping and replanting a proper canopy will leave it like a lot of Eastern cities that have already lost their Canopies.
There is only one block in Thunder Bay that even looks remotely like this.

Just one single 300 foot long stretch of road.

Actually there is another, half-kilometre stretch of this in the other end of town, so we have two. Two streets that look like this. Out of 1,000 streets. (That sounds like an exaggeration but it's true; Thunder Bay has over 1,000 named streets.) Something like 6,000 blocks, and 3 or 4 of them have tree canopies that look like that.