View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:05 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
Short-comings of the CHSRA can be fixed. Probably the biggest obstacle they have had is insufficient funding and inability or permission to increase staff. As a result, they have resorted to hiring consultants... whom must also be overseen.

I don't trust that the State auditor is qualified to understand and appropriately measure the effectiveness of the HSR program... and they seem to overlook that the entire plan was to build the system in operable segments... to assure that something usable is constructed should funding come in spits and spurts... as would be expected with a $40 billion project. They also overlook that CHSRA just was awarded $2.5 billion in Federal funds that were not originally planned... they are ahead of the game.
While I'm not going to dispute the state auditors lack of understanding or sophistication, the $2.5 billion in federal funds is actually a big part of what she takes issue with.

From the article I previously posted (you have to click on the link to read the whole article )

Quote:
The California High-Speed Rail Authority is counting on up to $19 billion from the federal government but has a commitment for only $2.25 billion so far, Howle said.