View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I'd one day love to retire to Southern Greenland especially as the earth warms and Greenland melts... The island will only get warmer and more inhabitable again...

The new airport projects will also open up access and allow for more direct European and American flights again with the possibility of making Greenlandair the new Icelandair with a huge secondary market of transferring people mid-way to their destination like Keflavik is famous for now...

I'm more curious to know what will happen to Narsarsuaq and Kangerlussuaq the two cast off airport former US WWII Air Force bases that are now the primary airports for the nation. They are to be closed once Qaqortoq and Nuuk 2.0 open but I could see companies using these airports for a variety of different things...
The old airports will likely remain open but massively downsized. Kangerlussuaq still has some science related jobs there that will stay - it also has a road to the ice cap which I'm sure will continue to bring in tourists. As for Narsarsuaq, I'm not sure. I suppose it will stay open but most residents there aren't even Greenlandic as far as I know, and I'm not sure how many of the Greenlanders there are even native to Narsarsuaq. I imagine it will stay somewhat populated but only by a small group of Greenlanders who have always lived in the village.