View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
http://professional.wsj.com/article/...&mg=reno64-wsj
Designer's Chance in Midtown

I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Wow, I wasn't even expecting an architect this soon, since nothing can even be built for five years. A little more from that article...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

By ELIOT BROWN
November 25, 2012

Quote:
The office project gives New York-based Kohn Pedersen the opportunity to design what would be one of the largest Midtown towers on the East Side in a generation. The firm, one of the largest architecture firms in the world, also is playing a major role in new development on the West Side, where it has designed two giant office towers along Tenth Avenue south of 33rd Street for the Related Cos.

The SL Green project—on the block just west of Grand Central between 42nd and 43rd streets—is likely years away from a groundbreaking. Not only does it need numerous approvals, currently it's not clear that there's sufficient demand for the office space. But building in New York is a long-term exercise, and SL Green is moving ahead full steam with planning. The company is in discussions with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to obtain additional development rights by building pedestrian improvements including underground connectors to Grand Central, executives informed of the planning said. A spokesman for the MTA declined to comment.

In addition, the company has hired a bevy of consultants for the project, including Texas-based developer Hines; law firm Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP; and Vishaan Chakrabarti, a former city planning official and a partner at architecture firm SHoP Architects.

Under the city's rezoning proposal, to get the added density, the company would need to buy additional development rights from the city, with its payment going toward transportation improvements. It also would need to design a building deemed by the city to have an iconic design. While SL Green would clearly stand to benefit from the rezoning by being able to build a larger building, Marc Holliday, SL Green's chief executive, told analysts on a conference call in July it was unclear how the zoning plan would affect the company's timing for the tower. "Certainly we'll have the result of the zoning amendment before we take any material step forward" on the development project, Mr. Holliday said on the call.

BTW, my hunch was correct...

Quote:
We know that Hines was brought in a few months ago to help with development of this tower, and haven't heard anything on choice of architects. But I've been thinking about this quote:

http://www.leadersmag.com/issues/201...n-Fox-KPF.html
KPF’s Global Impact
An Interview with A. Eugene Kohn, Chairman, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates

Quote:
Most recently, we were commissioned for a special new office building in midtown.

I can't think of any potentially significant new office towers in Midtown that don't already have architects or designs in place. And we know KPF is known for some of the big boys. It wouldn't shock me if they were chosen for this site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM.