View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
As someone who actually read the article, I think this is a good plan. Jobs shouldn't be allowed to concentrate in an area that can't really support it. The Bay Area moreso than most other US cities is geographically awkward. The SF peninsula is actually peripheral to the region as a whole, and there are only so many ways in and out whether by transit or car. Having all the jobs and wealth in SF makes everyone else worse off because then while the rich can enjoy the urban core everyone else has a commute from hell.

The only logical argument that opponents make is that restricting commercial development reduces revenue for the city. But the city incurs costs from being so expensive too - how much do public sector workers whether they be cops or janitors or office clerks expect to be paid in order to live in a city as costly as SF? Probably a lot, and if I had to guess this has a huge deleterious impact on municipal budgets that isn't talked about.
I get it, but still.

Could you imagine how many cities around this country would die just imagining about having to keep businesses from expanding in their city? Jesus.