View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:42 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
The Purple Line is a future San Diego Trolley line proposed by SANDAG, that would run from San Ysidro Transit Center at the United States–Mexico border to Kearny Mesa with a possible extension to Carmel Valley. It would run along, or close to I-805 and I-15. Most of the proposed station locations are currently served by Rapid routes 225 and 235.

If you’re ever suggesting that the US side would pay for a trolley into Mexico good luck with that. I’m sure Mexico could build their own trolley line into their country with some sort of US connection (maybe) as far as the line goes after they enter the US. The purple line is old news though and there are several extensions I think will get built first. My gut feeling is we may finally get some news in the near future on the airport link of some sorts. Also the Balboa link is still in play. Anything doing with Mexico these days though is influenced by our current state of politics in this country. That’s about the most neutral way I could think of saying that.

I’m happy just to get the UTC section knocked off here soon...
Agreed. There's no way MTS would build the Trolley into Mexico. This is probably just a rumor that got out of hand. There's no practical need for it anyway. People would still have to go through customs, etc. before entering the train that would enter the U.S. At that point, there's no difference between that and the existing infrastructure. The Trolley stops just feet from the border.

Ideally Tijuana would set up its own Metro line that would take visitors/locals from the Mexico side of the border to the Zona Norte, beaches, Airport, Zona Rio, residential neighborhoods/employment centers, or even Rosarito. That would be a better use of resources. I think they're setting up (have set up?) a BRT line along the Tijuana River, which is a good start.