View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, they started down this path with the "H/\LIF/\X" rebranding initiative, which was widely ridiculed by those who preferred the folksy "Lighthouse" style logo, and now we have Warren Wesson trying to organize a separatist movement for Dartmouth because they hate the idea of being part of the municipality. Wesson is the guy who, you may remember, was involed in the street drug scene and narrowly escaped a drug-related shooting death by jumping out a second-story window at the old Hfx Coalition Against Poverty clubhouse on Agricola Street a few years ago, suffering serious but not fatal injuries instead. Now he is apparently a Dartmouth community leader. Viva la revolution, I guess.

I think this sort of thing is a big part of our problem. Instead of dismissing crackpot ideas like this, the media gives them lots of play and treats them as credible, and there are an ample number of like-minded folk who join in the movement to keep us stuck in the mud. Add to that people like Bousquet who are always looking for something negative to say and his cadre of nodding-head supporters, and the typical NS attitude of "if you're successful, you don't deserve it and probably know someone or are crooked" and no wonder we can't change our image.
Well said, Keith.

The handful of loudmouths trying to turn back the hands of time are succeeding in one thing: royally pissing me off. I grew up in Dartmouth to a proud Dartmouth family and will take a back seat to no one in my love for the community. But the name on a sign does not a community make, and amalgamation, for all its faults, was the right thing at the right time. Would that these flat-earthers devote their energies to making real meaningful change instead of crying about branding.

Here's the hypocrisy and ignorance that astounds me: just what Dartmouth are they talking about? The former "City of Dartmouth" existed for only 35 years. It was formed in 1961 after annexing multiple rural communities against the wishes of many of the people who lived there. Maybe Wesson, McCluskey et al are right. But the hell with Dartmouth on my sign. I live in Westphal goddammit!