View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I've always wondered if Canada could be self-sufficient on Hydro. Could Quebec and NFLD make enough for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Ontario. And Manitoba and BC, enough for Saskatchewan and Alberta?
In theory, it is possible. There are significant improvements happening in cross-province transmission, such as the Maritime Transmission Link (Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, completed 2018), the Labrador-Island Transmission Link (Newfoundland to Labrador, completed 2018), and the Birtle Transmission Link (Manitoba to Saskatchewan, scheduled for completion 2021), all of which will improve access to hydro power for the provinces that don't have it.

Alberta is an interesting case. It does have some transmission tie-ins with British Columbia, and in the past, the two were talking about a joint transmission-pipeline corridor for BC's Site C dam, where Alberta would buy power, and run Northern Gateway (now cancelled) along the transmission corridor to BC's coast for oil export. I am doubtful BC would be able to supply Alberta's energy needs fully on hydro, though. Nuclear is a much better option for cleaning emissions in Alberta.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread