View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:12 PM

Like near every time you guys really like to fly off the handle, let’s go back to my original statement:

Quote:
I find that definition far to expansive to be useful. Basically any city with pre-war industry? In my opinion rust belt is very specifically Midwest (great lakes specifically) Industrial cities and towns. Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Erie. Mostly everything along the Ohio river etc. Hell even Scranton could probably count.

Thats not to say there wasn't industry cities and towns in the Northeast and they arent also rusty due to moving industries and changing economic conditions. I think of the rust belt as much geographically (probably even more so) than I do as a social or Economic classification.
So yes much of upstate New York I think works as rust belt, Springfield? Anything in Massachusetts or Connecticut? Probably not. Allentown and Scranton and Harrisburg maybe but those are kind of both I think they are close enough to coast that they can be pulled out of my idea of what the rust belt is

I suppose a good idea is where the “center of gravity” for those places are, do they pull more towards the Great Lakes and Ohio river like Pittsburg or buffalo, or do they pull lot towards the Atlantic coast