View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
So are you putting forth the conspiracy that FOP is really a parking lot/auto advocacy group parading as a lakefront protection/green space group?
You don't have to make that logical leap. I don't think they are necessarily pro-car. Groups like FOTP function as part of coalitions, and FOTP's progressive coalition is now focused on social justice above all else. If they think the parking shortage at 31st St is a result of discrimination, or if they think discrimination elsewhere (in incomes, transit service, etc) pushes African-Americans into cars disproportionately, they will argue for more parking even at the expense of parkland, because they don't want to be tagged as anti-progressive or neoliberal.

FOTP did argue against a new parking lot near me in Harrison Park, and I'm glad they did so... Harrison Park is tightly integrated into Pilsen, and primarily serves the neighborhood, so people *should* be walking there, even low-income folks. The perception was that the parking lot intended to serve people from outside the community coming in to visit the Mexican Art Museum.

The lakefront is a regional amenity and draws people from many miles inland. The wall-to-wall barbecues at 31st St especially, since they are large gatherings that draw family members and friends from across the city.