View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2005, 10:50 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillain
...what's the difference between the regular LRT lines (e.g., blue) and the "LRT trunk line(s)" (e.g., vermont)?
The difference is in how they'll operate. I'm thinking of a hybrid of sorts. The Blue Line has that potential, but it will run down one corridor with no potential for extra branches. Where as here, they utilize Light Rail Vehicles and operate them in Heavy Rail capabilities. Having the corridor run longer trains (up to 6 LRV's) in Subways or in Elevated sections in dense areas. Then breaking off into smaller units to run in other lower-density and at-grade portions/areas. The one thing that is missing are the other smaller route branches done in a lighter line. To increase coverage using available and street Rights-of ways

Quote:
is that an extension of the red line a short distance south along the river? or merely the existing yard?
It's merely a cute name for the existing yard with an actual station on it that hasn't been planned.

Quote:
Finally, is the distinct linear corridor slicing southeastly across long beach from willow and long beach blvd. on the blue line an old PE ROW? it appears to head toward seal beach/orange county. know if there are any plans or ideas (maybe yours? ) to run transit along that corridor? actually, looking at google maps, it does appear as if it runs all the way to seal beach. maybe an old freight line? or indeed PE? old rail rights of way fascinate me, as i wonder what it must have been like when trains actually ran there. the east bay in the bay area has several abandoned ROWs, some converted to trails, some developed over. bye bye, history.
They paved and developed over that entire ROW. So no use there. But there are others that is in another map. I'll work on that soon because I need to start over cause the map is getting too pixelated.