View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
'No plans' for boarded-up J.D. Irving building in Saint John heritage district

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cape-1.5411878

I greatly appreciate the heritage board for standing up against demolition. We are losing our historic structures at a troubling rate so IMO the system needs to be changed so that these kinds of properties don't end up in the hands of people who either A)don't have the capital to maintain the place and or B)wish to demolish from day 1. The city needs more authority to prevent the situation this property is currently in.

I saw some chatter online raving about the park design concept but I feel if demolition were to happen we'd be taken a stretch thinking it would actually happen. This property is located a block away from a high school, two huge office towers, and king square. Undoubtedly if this property ended up in the correct hands it would fill up with residents.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that a 1940's wood frame infill structure is a stretch to be termed historic. But even if it could be deemed historical just because of the location, all that has resulted is a boarded up, unheated building with a reported leaky roof that has probably made it beyond salvage. To me this is a failure of the heritage board, not a success. They have lost a "historic" building, not saved one.