View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There won't be a freeway built on the Canadian side from the bridge linking to Hwy 17. That has been looked at and is too complicated and costly. The partial bypass (Carmen's Way) is about as far as improvements will go.

BUT: there have been discussions about a second crosssing over the St. Mary's River. The main reason would be for transport trucks and not having the wait times they experience on the current bridge. The plans is many years away but will likely happen if wait times don't improve.

I've heard that the new route would be a freeway but I've also heard that it might not be at first. Either way, I've seen it leaving I-75 between the 5 Mile road and 3 Mile Road interchanges. It then goes to Sugar Island crossing the St. Mary's River (where it goes into Lake Nicolet) and up the Northwest part of the island. It crosses the North Branch of the river and connects where the 4-lane Hwy 17 bypass around Garden River currently ends at Trunk Road.
So, it sounds like the current 17 4 lanes there has actually been future built... That normally doen't seem to happen up here.

Would this be built within the next 10 years? Or would this be like most major projects and delayed until no one is alive to remember it.