View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
A buddy of mine had his house robbed last night. They kicked the door in and proceeded to ransack the place. Everything upturned, all electronics stolen, jewelry, etc.

Got me thinking... it would just be much more physically difficult for someone to do that to my place (I live in a highrise). The logistics of it are just totally not in their favor.

One, you can't get to my floor without a keycard giving you access. So they'd have to somehow just tag along with someone else coming to my floor, in which case: witness. Otherwise they're stuck at the concierge desk in the lobby, and they're not going to just let someone up.

2nd, kicking in my front door would be difficult and the "back door" is inaccessable unless you are spider man. So everyone on my floor would hear you kicking in the door.

Then there's the difficulty in actually getting the stuff out. You can't pull a car up to my front door like you can with a house... you gotta ride the elevator back down, which, again, requires a keycard unless you're going to waltz out through the lobby and past the concierge. And that's just for 1 trip.

Plus cameras in the elevators. and 24 hour security.

Houses seem so incredibly insecure. Any counter arguments?
It is harder but I do know people that have been victim to home invasions in mid-rise buildings. If someone really wants what you have they figure out a way to get in and out. With that said I do think it would be harder to rob a condo as opposed to a single family home but it can definitely be done.