View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:04 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Nobody's walking anywhere in rural areas.
That's not true. Lots of people in rural areas go for walks out at night.

Quote:
People do want/need to walk at night in urban/suburban areas, and they deserve to feel safe while they do so, and not be faced with the choice of having to hide indoors as soon as it's dark. Not to mention that it gets dark at like 4:00pm in the winter. Are people supposed to just not do anything after?

Also, what lio said^. Night being dark might be more natural, but getting jumped out on the street is natural too.
Didn't we already show that experience in the UK has demonstrated that crime does not increase when they turn the streets lights off at night?

Yes we did. One last time: Turning street lights off at night does not increase crime. See post #53 for details.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, once again, if we did my suggestion, since lights would not go off until, say, 10 or 11 at night, that is plenty of time for people to walk their dogs, go for a walk or whatnot. So the women who might be afraid of being jumped in the dark need not worry about that as long as they go out and do whatever they want to do before 10 or 11.

I'm not suggesting eliminating street lights altogether, as I said, I'm only suggesting turning them off after a certain time at night. At least on Sunday-Thursday nights, most people are in bed by 10 or 11 anyway.