View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I've found a good rule of thumb is that if you have to resort to conspiracy theory, the argument you have probably isn't very strong. But yeah, if every new reactor we built was like Chernobyl, then we definitely shouldn't build nuclear. But we're not building Chernobyls. Canada has a particularly gleaming record when it comes to nuclear safety, bet even if you look at the western countries that have had some newsworthy accidents like the UK and USA, their incident rates are similarly negligible.

All that said, even though nuclear is great, it's just so damn expensive now. Nuclear is one of the few pieces of technology that gets more expensive the more we build. If we can't get the costs down, then I struggle to see it being justified.
If you build more in one place you get economies of scale. Many plants now have multiple reactors. Transmission losses are approximately 1% every 200 km so from Calgary to Vancouver the loss would be about 4%. I think we should have about 5 plants spread out across Canada providing all our power needs while able to ship power across the border. The US lacks power generation in the West so there is a market there. Infrastructure to transfer power would also need to be developed.

A nuclear reactor is technically slightly cheaper than BC's site C per a MW.