View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I have absolute no knowledge of the area and its inhabitants, however all I can say is that this development is taking advantage of prime waterfront real-estate - as such property should be utilized. From what I can see in pictures, I don't see how such a development would damage the integrity of the area, but would rather enhance it and perhaps make it more desirable for future revitalization more inland.
Of course post industrial waterfront is underutilized... modern NYC will never again have the need for active piers along its entire coastline... thats really not the issue. The area should be developed and should allow for more people to enjoy the community, but how can you blend this new development into the existing neighborhood identity without just saying "fuck it, slap up a series of generic towers and lets call it a day" ...thats what needs to be addressed.

Greenpoint is already incredibly desirable, but desirable for different reasons than most of the "it neighborhoods" in NYC. It has continuous stability, North to South and West to East... inland is perfectly fine, the only areas that really need any work are the shorelines and the Northern portion of McGuinness.