View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
I didn't see much evidence of "resentment" in the reader comments, though open displays of extreme wealth seem more evident these days than in past recent times -- whether it's luxury cars, mansions, or high-rise apartments.
It only seems more evident to people who haven't been paying attention. That attitude itself is more popular or evident these days due the things like social media, or the internet in general where things are more broadly discussed. Everyone these days can voice an opinion on anything. But if you've been paying attention all along, nothing has changed. It's not as if the wealthy have suddenly discovered New York. And it's also not as if Billionaire's Row would have been East Tremont in the Bronx.

Quote:
Many people are rightfully troubled that, other than as an architectural curiosity, the super-tall condos add little if anything to the fabric of the city.

Also untrue. If there is anything that symbolizes New York other than it's skyline, I don't know what it is. Even the Statue of Liberty is more a symbol of America, though obviously an icon of New York. But it is that awesome skyline, that attitude of building up, that had distinguished New York from other cities.

Quote:
This is especially egregious when the units are used mainly as a cottage (or simply an investment) by people who have no interest or ties to the neighbourhood or the city more generally. This is obviously not exclusively a New York problem -- just look at what's happening in London, Toronto, Vancouver, and other desirable (and very expensive) cities.

Another ridiculous notion. These super slender skyscrapers have extremely small footprints. As I've always said, you could lay these skyscrapers horizontally, and more of the city would be lost. People seem to think that these super tall slender skyscrapers are the only places where the wealthy can and will spend their money, which is far from the truth if they actually paid attention to those sort of things. And New York is a global city, people come from around the world. To say the rich won't spend their money on anything else in the city is ridiculous to say the least.

Furthermore, not all of the super-tall slender skyscrapers are for the super rich. 45 Broad Street downtown certainly isn't, and at the supertall residential that will alter the skyline the most - 9 DeKalb - 30% of the rentals will be affordable housing, meaning that tower alone will have over a hundred units of affordable housing. So the idea that these towers are changing New York for the worse is just one that exists in some people's minds. As I've said, the rich have always been in New York, and always will be.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.