View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 6:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I’ve probably missed this earlier, but what do people make of Facebook’s plan to pay people less if they are working from home in less expensive locations? Slack has said the same. In other words, the savings that come from not needing expensive real estate in a major hub city accrue to the business, not the individual.

If you can’t move away from NYC or SF (or London or Paris or wherever) and make the same money with cheaper housing, then a lot fewer people will do it. And those high salaries have only really ever come to be because people needed them to cover high costs.

There is and will always be something lost when working remotely, and people are kidding themselves if they think otherwise.
My wife's company was remote (except for guys in field) for a few months and were just as productive when they were in the office proving there wasn't much lost. My skills are far more valued on the west coast but I don't want to move there so I welcome companies like FB recruiting more WFH employees. Houston has been a dead end for my industry and field and this sort of things opens up a lot of opportunities.