View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:40 AM

In 1970 the biggest building boom in Rocane's history was still going on strong. Architectural firms were working overtime, and the result wasn't always that innovative. Many architecture critics criticized the architects eagerness to copy from other cities landmarks. The critique seemed to fall on deaf ears, though, as yet another skyscraper inspired by a more famous building in another major city, was constructed. The VanAlen Tower, Midwest headquarters of the East Coast banking and financing enterprise, VanAlen Corporation, was completed in 1969. It has 44 stories and stands at 696 feet (212 m). At its opening its architect just shrugged and replied to the critique: "Well, what can you do - it's already built and you can't go back and change the history".

Main Street looking north in 1970.

Rocane's skyline in 1970.

Downtown from southeast.

P.S. I really wish I had started presenting Rocane here last summer when I was still modeling it. It would have ended up being so much better, when I could've capitalized your suggestions. It's possible, though, that it would've never been finished...