View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:12 AM
Eurosceptic

yes... to judge Giant Eagle on one or a few locations is inadequate as their locations vary in size and quality... reflective of different eras... acquisitions of other chains... and the diverse socio-economic landscape... (for example, Wegmans seems to only operate in wealthy suburban areas while Giant Eagle operates just about anywhere)

I think eventually they'll probably eradicate their truly crappy stores in order to project a strong consistent brand... either through upgrades (Centre Ave - Shadyside) or closures (Centre Ave. - Oakland). Giant Eagle is also playing around with new smaller store concepts for urban areas... it's rumored they're putting one of these in the Manchester neighborhood.

I've only stopped in the Squirrel Hill location a few times to basically get a couple snacks if I'm down that way... so I haven't experienced the service deficiencies you speak of. It does get points for its somewhat urban-friendly design. The service at the Centre Ave. Market District is top notch however. It's a "foodie" store... like Wegman's... expert chefs and cooking demos etc....

And not to sound too much like an advertisement... but I love Giant Eagle's Market District branded products (pita chips, trail mix, organic iced tea, etc.)... their organic peach iced tea is literally my favorite beverage ever.

BTW pj3000... the Centre Ave. Market District is LEED certified and has 5 floors of condos above it... just an interesting little tidbit