View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:53 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Dear Neighbor:

I am writing to provide you with an update regarding LendLease and Magellan Development Group's proposed development of parcels "I, J, K & L" in Planned Development #70 that governs zoning in the Lakeshore East neighborhood.

The initial community meeting attracted over 1,000 residents and lasted more than three hours. In addition - to ensure every resident was afforded an opportunity to raise concerns - I required the Developer to host individual public meetings with every residential building in the neighborhood. Two members of my staff attended every meeting and took very detailed notes.

My office also received hundreds of letters, emails, and calls objecting to the proposal. In addition, I asked every condominium association in Lakeshore East to send me their "punch-lists" of concerns and suggestions related to the project.

After carefully reviewing substantial neighborhood feedback; cataloguing my own concerns regarding the proposal; and after discussions with the City Department of Planning & Development; I have determined this project will not move forward.

My office has informed Magellan & LendLease that their proposal for sites "I, J, K & L" is rejected and will not move forward in its current form.

There are a number of issues that must be resolved by a future proposal for this development site. Some (not all) of those issues include:

Provide more usable, contiguous & active open green space that will serve as a real public benefit to the surrounding neighborhood;

Eliminate the grand staircase & associated zigzag pedestrian path and replace it with a more subtle, meandering path - to allow for the addition of usable green space & reduction of hardscape/pedestrian infrastructure;

Relocate the proposed upper-level Harbor Drive pedestrian access point to the new open green space to improve sight-lines: moving it further north on Harbor & away from the Parkshore's garage and driveway egress;

Address security concerns (especially at the lower access road level) by proposing a staffed guard station on the lower level to monitor pedestrian traffic and activity - as well as regular security patrols throughout the site;

Better define solutions ensuring there are no conflicts between garage access, loading and the proposed pedestrian and bicycle traffic that would occur at the lower level access road that leads toward the Lakefront;

Install fencing between the lower Lake Shore Drive public right-of-way and the property line of sites "I, J, K & L" - while creating one centralized access portal between Magellan site & Lakefront (similar to the required improvements Wanda Vista will make to Riverwalk access at Field Drive);

Properly secure this lower-level Lakefront access portal with the installation of way-finding signage, improved lighting and surveillance cameras that can tie-in to the City's OEMC security camera network; and

Reassess the positioning of towers on the podium and make a greater effort to ensure distances between newly proposed towers and existing buildings are more consistent with setbacks that currently govern the site.

I have shared these concerns (and others) with the Development Team and have explained that they must be properly addressed in any future plans for the site. Once my office receives an updated proposal for this site, we will promptly notify neighborhood residents and proceed with our transparent community process.

It is my pleasure to serve as your Alderman. If we can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. I strongly encourage you to sign-up for our weekly e-newsletter at: www.ward42chicago.com for future neighborhood updates.

Sincerely,

Alderman Butthole
Nothing specifically pointing out issues with density, height or traffic concerns.

None of the demands seem insurmountable or a deal breaker by any means. Hopefully this is only a minor bump on the road to approval.