View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
While demand across all categories is down, its proving more robust on the detached side. Likely we will see people moving more towards townhouses/detached as working from home pushes people to see their home as a place to spend the day rather than just sleep in.

You'd think working from home would increase movement away from downtown to the suburbs.

But we do have city plans stating where density should go, so I'm unsure if the city would allow this in significant amounts without changing the plan.
Because the detached side already had a downturn earlier, I suppose.

Thing is there's not much land for detached even if working from home takes off (I doubt it will). Also, a 3 bedroom apartment is of comparable size to a townhouse, give or take. (Townhouses have stairs, apartments tend to be minimalistic in terms of size for 3 bedrooms). The issue is cost of construction.

Offices are also crucial for industrial densification/gentrification projects, so I'm not sure I would be celebrating their decline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Getting funding for UBC, Langley, and Massey crossing would help, along with the HOV extension, though they are already starting that, it would just extend scope.

None of that can happen overnight though. The opportunity I see is getting the funding locked and promised, but the Feds will be looking for more immediate projects.
Exactly. Tunneling more will take a while, but not laying down more lanes or building and laying up more prefab segments, making them good for stimulus.