View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 3:25 PM

IMCDB
Speaking of '37 Dodge coupes, here's one--or possibly a '36--in the movie Cadillac Records of
2008 (at lower right). At first I thought that this movie must have had incredible art direction,
but then I realize that this has to be a vintage clip used in the movie. The streetlamps, the
semaphore, the streetcar tracks.... Or is it some sort of composite? Could the building line
down the east side of Main, including the Regent Theater, really be as intact as it appears to
be? The movie is set in Chicago, but in actuality we're looking south from Main and Winston in L.A.

Google Street View

Back to cars for a minute... the caption for this pic says it's Ginger Rogers posing with a new '36 Dodge coupe--not
sure it's her--but, anyway, the horn housings below the headlights seem to be one thing that distinguishes
the '36 from the '37.
Caught at the Curb

And as far as business coupes go, these were generally coupes that were marketed to traveling salesmen (or doctors)
in which the rear seat was removed, often replaced with a flat shelf for sample cases, etc. My favorites were the
Chrysler Corp. coupes with trunks that were longer than their hoods. I know that Ford was offering a business coupe as late as 1960.