View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2011, 10:49 PM

I'm an old man (at least according to one member here) so I can remember a lot of things from way back when. I'll keep this batch limited to one geographic area downtown.

I remember when Scotia Square opened and there were shops in both the upper and lower malls, with a movie theater across from the Woolco store in the upper mall. I remember going to the new Woolco with my mom and walking down the broad staircase that led from Duke St onto the sales floor.

I remember when the Moirs chocolate factory was operating downtown where the WTCC now stands.

I remember going to buy jeans (when the market for blue jeans among young people was just taking off in the late 60s) at a store called the Warehouse which was in the building where the Five Fishermen now is.

I remember going to what is now Atlantic News in its original building where the Canada Trust bldg on Argyle now stands.

I remember my folks talking about going to the Peppermint Lounge on Barrington in a building where the Delta Barrington now stands. I remember the tall neon sign that place had.

I vaguely remember going with my folks to the old Halifax city market in the basement of the old Halifax police station, on a stretch of Market St that is now Albermarle, where the Scotia Sq apartments are now.

I remember shopping at Birks on Barrington (now an empty lot next to the Dennis Bldg).

I remember riding the NSL&P electric trolleys downtown.