View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I love the maps thinks for posting these.

One thing though as some people seem to be doing different things. I think some people are not putting vacant land on their maps but the original poster is putting vacant land on his. Could those possible mention in their post if they are deviating from the OP so there might be a bit more consistency, or at least mention the differences in consistency?

Also I was thinking of doing some for London and Austin but I'm not sure on how y'all are doing garages? Some seem to be putting them some aren't. Personally I think if they are at least 4-5 stories tall they are ultimately do more good than bad by bringing people to downtowns, under that then they are wasted space. But that is just a odd way I look at things. What is the rule most others are using for their maps for garages?
I would say if the garage is lined with ground-floor retail (not just one little dry cleaners on the corner, but lined with continuous retail except for the space needed for garage entrance/exit), then it shouldn't be included. If the garage has no retail, or just a couple small retail spaces in a garage that takes up half a city block, then it should be included.

This garage in Toronto's Kensington Market for example, has most of it's street frontage lined with retail. The fact that it's clad in brick also helps it look nicer than most parking garages, but that's more an aesthetic thing.