View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAS-TV 8 News NOW

New Waterpark in the Works for Las Vegas
Posted: Aug 05, 2011 3:46 PM PDT Updated: Aug 05, 2011 3:46 PM PDT
By Sharie Harvin, Reporter
KLAS-TV 8 News NOW

LAS VEGAS -- A new 26-acre waterpark is making a splash in Las Vegas, creating jobs and boosting the bottom line for businesses. Clark County Commissioners unanimously voted for the park and aquatics center, saying they are a few months away from a groundbreaking.

The park will be built near Fort Apache and Warm Springs. The county expects about 400 jobs -- 200 to build the facilities and 200 to operate them. Businesses in the area excited about being flooded with more customers.

"Right now it's ok, but I think it's going to be more customers," said Pia Taing with Benjarong Thai Restaurant.

Not far from the restaurant Taing manages is Raw Health, where the owner Robin Shaw is thinking about the health of the community.

"There's just a lot of vacancies, a lot of empty resident spots, lot of empty commercial spots. So by bringing this project over here, it might make certain people aware of this and say, 'Hey, maybe I should move here or I'll start doing some business here,'" she said.

"We plan on moving forward, they plan on moving forward and it was a seven to zero vote," said County Commissioner Susan Brager. "It's going to be in the southwest section of our community, great access to freeways, people seeing what's out there. Wet n' Wild was over the top and that's how this is going to be, along with that aquatics center and a park in the very front of it."

The Howard Hughes Company, who is supporting the project, has several other parks in Texas called Hawaiian Falls. Owners say they want to keep the name of this park a secret until the groundbreaking, but it's no secret they will be open for business Memorial Day of 2012.
Read More & Video: http://www.8newsnow.com/story/152195...-for-las-vegas