View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I recently saw this photo that I don't recall posted on NLA before that was taken there when it was the Dudley Do Right Emporium.

VLA-FLickr

It must've been taken around the time of that infamous Burt Reynolds centerfold issue in Cosmopolitan which was April of 1972.

Bullwinkle -
A buddy and I made a pilgrimage to the Dudley Do-Right Emporium in 1978 or so, not long after I'd first gotten my driver's license. The Emporium was closed when we arrived but there was a sign on the door indicating that if anyone wanted to visit the shop, we should come knock on the front door at the next building. So I did.

The man who answered the door was gracious and said someone would be there shortly to let us into the Emporium. It wasn't until many years later that I realized the amiable man was Jay Ward himself. I'd never seen a photo of him at that point. To this day I regret the lost opportunity to tell him how much I loved his cartoons.

I ended up buying two or three little souvenirs, whatever I could afford, which wasn't much. One was a cassette of incidental music from various Jay Ward shows. I've still got it somewhere.

On the opposite side of the Emporium as seen in this photo, they had painted a very funny series of images detailing the process of making an animated TV show. One showed movie film being processed at a lab, with several dollar signs above it. I guess that was a huge expense for them.