View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I saw this photo also taken at the same corner at Sunset and Hayvenhurst Dr. about 8 years after the above photo.

Ken Anderson/Le Cinema Dreams

The billboard is advertising an Allan Carr disaster, "Can't Stop the Music", which had been originally titled "Discoland-Where the Music Never Ends"...but disco waned drastically before the movie came out, and across the street a slightly better remembered film, Little Darlings.

I don't recall the Chateau Marmont having that noticeable sign on it, though it obviously did. I mean, the Marmont was never scrambling for walk or drive-in business!

Oh boy! Your post just brought back a flood of memories.

I was working for Pinnacle Books (in Century City) back then. They were a paperback publisher, who moved out here from New York to sign movie tie-in deals. Unfortunately they landed a two book contract which consisted of Raggedy Man (a Sissy Spacek movie) and Can't Stop The Music. Raggedy Man was decent, and earned some royalties, but Can't Stop the Music was a bomb.

Can't Stop The Music had some names in the cast. There were The Village People, Steve Gutenberg, Bruce Jenner (in the pre-Caitlyn days) and Valerie Perrine (who I liked because she was always running around with no clothes on).

Anyway, with Alan Carr as the producer, everyone thought it was going to be another hit like Grease. Unfortunately, the disco craze landed with a thud at Comiskey Park in Chicago the year before on Disco Demolition Night.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

I managed to recoup some of the beating we took on Can't Stop The Music
by using the royalties on Raggedy Man against the advance on Can't Stop The Music. Their lawyers had a fit, but it was all one contract and there was nothing they could do. It was still a loser for Pinnacle Books though.