View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
My point is that most of the South is only really semi-Southern anyway in a cultural sense (Texas, Florida, West Virginia, much of Virginia etc.)

Much of the South is very much "mainstream America." Transplants and "change" aren't at all marginal to the region.
This makes me think of the "alien" factor. While other Americans (say "Yankees" - am I allowed to say that? ) may not partake in certain elements of Southern culture like NASCAR or grits or whistlin' Dixie or Jeff Foxworthy comedy, these things will still be familiar to them.

In the case of Quebec, the vast majority of its culture is basically foreign to other Canadians. In many cases they aren't even aware of its existence. Let alone being aware of some rough details (like NYers would at least be about Southern culture). I have actually had "other Canadians" (admittedly not the sharpest tools in the shed) argue with me that Quebec doesn't have a feature film industry, its own game shows and talk shows, etc. These people think that Quebec being different and "French" (sic) just means watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Captain Marvel dubbed in French.